About the CIP Credential
The CIP program was created in 1999 after many years of discussion and planning by organizational members and leaders. The program was the result of a broadly based, grassroots effort by IRB professionals and policy makers committed to improving the quality of HRPPs. More than 3,000 individuals have become certified since the credential was introduced. PRIM&R is proud that this voluntary program has been so widely embraced by the HRPP community as a means to advance and demonstrate competence in such an important field.
Why Become Certified?
The CIP credential:
- Promotes the ethical conduct of research by strengthening the administration of human research protection programs (HRPPs).
- Validates an individual’s professional experience and mastery of the body of knowledge determined by national experts to be essential to competent HRPP and IRB administrative practices
- Encourages personal growth and professional development
- Provides an expanded array of career advancement opportunities
- Strengthens the quality of HRPPs by certifying a cadre of committed and educated individuals
Where to Start
You can also download the CIP Handbook to start the certification process.
Download the CIP® Body of Knowledge/Content Outline, which details the content covered in the CIP exam, as well as the CIP Exam Resources and References.
The CIP program is administered under contract with PSI. The validity of individual test questions is authenticated by certified professionals, while PSI provides professional testing and management services. These services include assistance with test development, administration, scoring and statistical analysis, and processing candidate applications and fees. Questions regarding examination administration or testing centers may be directed to PSI by telephone (888.519.9901) or by email.